Sunday, September 7, 2008

why eat local, part 2

Well okay, I was going to write this way back in...June? When I was writing about strawberries and such. Then I wanted to wait until I had time, and, well, yeah. I still don't have time to write the entry that I wanted to write, but a conversation with Steve about our farmer's market haul inspired this short bit.

A few years ago, I had been reading a lot on blogs/magazines about white peaches. They sounded pretty great, so when I saw white peaches in the grocery store, I bought a pound or so. I took them home, and with great anticipation, had one for lunch. It was....pretty blah. Sort of juicy, but not much flavor at all. "Ah," I thought ruefully, "I've been taken in by another trendy food marketing scheme."

On Saturday, I sent Steve and Matthew to the farmers' market for our weekly produce trip. We had really enjoyed the (yellow) peaches from the week before, so he went back to get more peaches, among other things. He came home with a mix of white and yellow peaches.

Today, for lunch, I had my second white peach. I bit in, with some anticipation, as Steve had told me how good they were when he had one, but also with trepidation, as I remembered my last experience. It was...heaven. A distinctive flavor...softer, more rounded, than the yellow peach, perhaps, with maybe just a blush of a wine or champagne-type flavor. I can see why white peaches are specified for the classic Bellini recipe.

So to the skeptics, those who scoff at the locavore movement, I say this: if the environmental arguments don't convince you, if you aren't really into knowing your farmer and being part of your community, if you think those who are at the forefront of the movement are 60's throwbacks, so be it. I disagree, but I will keep my mouth shut for now. You don't have to buy into that to be convinced. Instead, do this. Go to the farmers' market. Buy the white peaches, or whatever you happen to see that strikes your interest. Take it home. Eat it, slowly, savoring every bite. You won't be sorry.

1 comment:

dharmagirl said...

pure poetry! so eloquent and, well, poetic. i have NOT yet tried the white peaches...somehow i missed those and bought one of every other variety.

i'm thinking, yummmm, Bellini!

(btw, i love the 60s throwback reference:)