Wednesday, April 1, 2009

origin

ok, please bear with me. I have a secret...I used to write. I stopped, probably in high school. But I always missed it. So, it's National Poetry Month, and my friend J. has inspired me. So, I'm doing this Writer's Digest poem-a-day thing...at least, until I get embarrassed and stop (in other words, this might be my only post). I am telling you now, I am NOT GOOD AT THIS. It is only for fun.

WD gives you prompts. The prompt today is: write an origin poem. It can be the origin of a word, person, plant, idea, etc. Have fun with it.

Never, she said. I will
Never
be that person.

A parasite! An alien being
feeding, sucking, taking, draining...
my life force
my freedom
my identity
Never, it's not for me.

Why would I trade
nights out with friends
intense late-night conversations
limitless possibilities
for

nights of feeding and soothing
discussions of diapers, and
the latest in pacifier technology?

i was set
i had the plan
i was good to go

then you were there, inside me
my beautiful parasite
my cherished alien
so guess what, my sweet?
i was that person

i am that person
who constantly struggles
to find the balance
i am that person
who can't quite believe
she once despaired at the thought of someone like you.

i am.
Always.

2 comments:

dharmagirl said...

love it. made me sad and happy all at once, which is what a good poem should do, yes?

as a friend once told me, supposedly quoting t.s. eliot, "our beginings never know our ends."

we never know what person we will be...

Kim Dana said...

I like this one, too. And I continue to marvel at how much we have in common. I wrote poetry and short stories in high school and continued to write in college for a bit. Pregnancy felt parasitic to me--definitely. I did not like that part. I hope you continue writing for pleasure. It is a great release!