Look, blog. I try, I really do. I LIKE the idea of writing in you more often, even though approximately two people read you. And it's not you, it's me. I know, lots of other blogs have owners who write in them regularly, and it's not fair you got stuck with me. Now, that said, here's a fancy little meme that I will answer just to get writing in you again. We cool?
Originating with Linda at All & Sundry. (I think. It's all over the bloggernets but word on the street is that Sundry started it...)
1. What did you do in 2009 that you’d never done before? Ran 2.5 miles...and started to enjoy running! Crazy! Served on a NSF proposal review panel. Hosted wine club!
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I...don't really make resolutions. I think that's setting oneself up for failure. I did have goals, which were summed up under "Be More Awesome". I think I was...in that I made better choices. I chose to surround myself with people who treated me with kindness and to reciprocate the best I could, I chose to refocus on my teaching and find what I really enjoyed about my job, and I chose to make my health a priority as I am no longer a college/grad student who can get away with abusing her body through eating junk, lack of sleep, and marathon work sessions without seeing some blowback.
Of course, in no way was I perfect. Especially the last one...I fell off the health wagon as soon as the fall semester started, and I can feel it. I realize that I have GOT to figure out how to manage my time so that I can get to the gym and/or exercise on a daily basis. I'm a better person all around when I do. And I need to be more consistent about my food choices. So that's going to be my big goal, I think. In general, though, I just want to be the best wife, mother, friend, and teacher I can be.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? Well, there was baby R.! What a cutie.
4. Did anyone close to you die? No, but a close family member to a good, good friend did, and that was very sad.
5. What countries did you visit? No other countries, but we did go to Hawaii.
6. What would you like to have in 2010 that you lacked in 2009? Balance! More time for personal endeavors/family. A house that looks put together and inviting inside and out.
7. What dates from 2009 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? I don't know if any specific dates...2009 made a lot of memories, but I'm not sure there's a single day involved.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? I don't know? I just keep rolling along...maybe the grant, in terms of work? Or the teaching evaluations that said "I took this for a gen ed, but it was my favorite class?" Personally...I think I got much better at expressing what I need and working for that.
9. What was your biggest failure? Time management. Not racing a 5K.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? Nothing serious! I dropped my food processor on my hand when walking up the stairs the other night, and that was a total bitch, but I lived!
11. What was the best thing you bought? I didn't buy it, but I got a waterproof MP3 player and a Garmin Forerunner for Christmas. Have tried out the MP3 player, and it is excellent.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? So many people. Steve. Wine Club crew. Will Allen. Robert Kenner. Kitrina. Alexa. Chris. These people keep me going and inspire me.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? Many, many politicians, on many, many levels.
14. Where did most of your money go? Daycare. Children. And house stuff--tuckpointing, replacing window glass, patio, exterior paint touchup, gutter guards--you know, the sexy part of being a homeowner.
Fun stuff--probably food and travel.
Steve wants me to say "moonshine, tobacco, guns, and women." So...yeah.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Hmm. Seeing friends get the happiness they deserve.
16. What song will always remind you of 2009? Easy. Journey!! "Don't Stop Believing"
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? b) thinner or fatter? c) richer or poorer? Happier, fatter, richer (a little bit).
18. What do you wish you’d done more of? Live in the moment. Exercise. Plan meals. Make a difference.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of? Worry about things that are out of my control, waste time on the internet.
20. How did you spend Christmas? Christmas Eve--watched White Christmas and wrangled kids, made food for that evening, then wrapped presents all night, finally collapsing in a chair to watch A Christmas Story in its entirety for the first time. Christmas Day--opened presents at home with the kids, then headed to my parents for brunch and more gifts, then to my grandfather's for dinner. Then home, listening to J's mix cd of awesomeness and thinking about how very lucky we are as a family. Next day--total relaxation. only got out of my pajamas to work out, then put them right back on.
21. Did you fall in love in 2009? Not new love, just kept on lovin' (That makes me sound like Matthew McConaughey, I think).
22. What was your favorite TV program? The Wire (sob!). Mad Men. Friday Night Lights. Top Chef Masters.
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year? no way.
24. What was the best book you read? Huh. I don't know! I can never remember what I read, even if it was really good. I should start writing it down.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery? Oooh. The National...was that this year? Well anyway, I'll go with that.
26. What did you want and get? the forerunner.
27. What did you want and not get? Chickens!! Oh, ok, not really. I don't know...I guess I wanted to have the house more organized and I would like to figure out a way to have this living room more cohesively arranged, and that didn't happen.
As for the chickens, their day will come. Oh yes.
28. What was your favorite film of this year? Food, Inc.
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 33, and we just hung out at home, I believe. Our big trip was a week or so after my birthday.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Less general angst and strife at work.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009? Avoiding the Mom Jeans.
32. What kept you sane? I keep coming back to the same themes. Steve, good friends, exercise, humor.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? Fancy? Really? I fahncied...um. I don't know.
34. What political issue stirred you the most? So many things, but I would have to say the industrialization of our food supply, and the fact that there are many in our country who are systematically denied simple, healthy, affordable food.
35. Who did you miss? Friends who live far and near, with whom I did not get to spend nearly enough time.
36. Who was the best new person you met? Can I use full names here? Well, just in case, I'll initialize it. It's gotta be G.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2009. You can't control others, all you can do is be true to yourself and be the best person you can be.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year. "It's times like these we learn to live again..."
14 hours ago