Sunday, June 29, 2008

why the local strawberry? part 1

I'm finally getting around to the post I was going to write yesterday...and I'm happy I waited because I had a little inspiration this afternoon--a wonderful, delicious and beautiful cake made with the first local strawberries of the season by my friend J. We are lucky indeed to have such a talented friend--and one generous enough to share!

J and I have been talking a lot about locally grown food, which is something we both feel passionate about. As the locavore movement gains steam nationally, I've seen several articles questioning the value of eating locally. Most of the questions involve the concept of "food miles" and carbon outputs. I'll add some links to this post if I can find some good online articles, but the most thoughtful articles I've read seem to center around these questions:

1. Are we really reducing overall carbon dioxide outputs by eating locally? In other words, is the locally-grown tomato, or beef, or ornamental plant consuming more than its share of fossil fuels during production?

2. What about the other environmental impacts of locally-grown food? An example here--what is the water cost of a locally grown tomato in, say, Arizona? What about the local milk that comes from a conventional, polluting megadairy? Is that better or worse than the trucked in milk from an organic, pastured farm? (We in Wisconsin don't have to worry too terribly much about that particular example, as there are several options for sustainably raised dairy. Take that, happy California cows!!).

3. What does "locally grown" really mean--how local is local, and how does the means of transportation affect "food miles" calculations? Is a winery in Napa more "local" in terms of environmental impact than one in Bordeaux? (Answer: depends on where you are in the United States, apparently).

4. Where should we place our efforts? After all, major industries and utilities generate an incredibly significant amount of greenhouse gases; much more than our food transportation. So, is this an example of "feel-good" activism that doesn't really have much impact?

I have a lot of thoughts about these questions, and I don't agree at all with the premise of some of these arguments that eating locally is insignificant. I am glad, however, that the questions are being asked, as it forces me to examine my reasons for being pro-local foods. Locavorism does make a positive impact, in several ways and on several things--the environment, economy, and overall quality of life. I'll explain what I mean by this in part 2...coming up soon!

ETA: Linky!

"Big Foot" - The New Yorker article that got me started on this train of thought
Food Miles and the Relative Climate Impacts of Food Choices in the United States - peer-reviewed study of, well, see the title. I will try to get a PDF of the full article for locavore committee. Interesting final sentence in the abstract about food choices that I think would be interesting to explore for the upcoming campus theme.

2 comments:

dharmagirl said...

an insightful post! i too have been thinking about how local is local...i've been considering the wine question. for instance, the WI wine I've tasted is just alright, but over in the Leelanau Peninsula in MI they make some really wonderful wines. Though slightly outside of the 100 range, it's still more local than Cali or Europe, and I've been to some of the farms...

I wonder if that's part of the equation too--having gone somewhere and made a connection with the farm and farmer, even if they are outside of your circle.

Sometimes I wonder about our global responsibility--to what degree are our purchases determining the fate of subsistence farmers in other countries? In many cases, *our* desire for cheap and/or exotic foods can mean a minimal livelihood for these people, but can also be supporting environmental degradation and shady business practices as part of the new food chain.

What's a hungry girl to do? Knowledge is power, I suppose, and tracking down info and being thoughtful can all be a start at making a difference.

I look forward to reading part 2! Thanks for the props re: the cake:)

wishokie said...

"I wonder if that's part of the equation too--having gone somewhere and made a connection with the farm and farmer..."

Yes, yes, yes!! I think there's so much to this statement. In fact, one of the things I want to write about in part 2 is how I think that the potential to have a conversation with the person who grows your food (or just knowing something about that person) is one of the most important benefits of eating locally.

If you find a WI wine that you would consider actually good, let me know. We haven't yet...of course, we have not tried most of the wineries. I wonder if that Parallel 44 that they sell (sold?) at that store inside Element is decent?